Sunday, July 18, 2010

commando at work.

I haven't done my laundry in a long while. In fact, disgusting as it is, I wore the same pair of underwear two different days.

I know, I know.

I realized that was pretty despicable (me) -- is that movie any good? -- so the next day at work I went commando. It's a very weird feeling to know that you are freeballing in front of your boss.


Yep. Exactly like that.


I have a friend that will only "go commando." He can't stand underwear. I really can't tolerate my AK-47 chaffing on my jeans, but to each his own, I guess.

According to Wikipedia, going commando may have its origins to the saying "going regimental" to describe a True Scotsman's decision to wear nothing under his kilt.

The first known use of the term in print was on January 22, 1985 by Jim Spencer, who lampooned it in the Chicago Tribune:

Furthermore, colored briefs are 'sleazy' and going without underwear ("going commando", as they say on campus) is simply gross.



I wish I could find the article. That quote leaves so many unanswered questions:
1) What was the previous sentence, that Jim had to start a new one with "furthermore?",
2) Why are colored briefs sleazy? And when did colored/printed briefs become the norm like that are today?, and
3) Why was this article written, anyway?

Which begs the question, "Why did I write this post?"

Be right back, I gotta go get some baby powder for this rash.

3 comments: